COURSE TITLE: Alberta Medical Billing
BILLING MODULES 1 - 8
Why Take this Course
- WHAT ADVANTAGES DOES THE ALBERTA MEDICAL BILLING COURSE GIVE A CLINIC BILLER?
- WHY ARE THESE ADVANTAGES IMPORTANT TO YOU AS A PHYSICIAN?
- HOW DO THESE ADVANTAGES AFFECT THE ECONOMY OF THE CLINIC?
Some of the advantages to taking this course puts the clinic billing clerk in a position of knowing where to find answers to billing questions such as:
- What fee code can be used to do certain procedures?
- Do visits and procedures pay together?
- Can injections be billed as a visit if the physician does not see the patient?
- When do I know when to bill the next visit after a major procedure?
- Why is this claim rejecting?
- Is it visits or patients that have a maximum to be billed in a day?
- Where is the Governing Rule that talks about needing to document time on chart notes?
- When is encountering a claim legitimately able to be done?
The “why” of the importance:
- Knowing why searching the different lists in the Schedule of Medical Benefits (SOMB) allows billing to be accurate.
- Knowing how to search Governing Rules to ensure different visit and procedure codes are billed appropriately
- Knowing how to choose the correct fee code(s) for what the physician has documented for the visit using the Governing Rules and Procedure Lists in the SOMB
- Knowing when a modifier can be used in clinic or hospital.
- Knowing what modifier can be used and how many units to use as per the Price List in the SOMB
The “how” of the importance:
- Understanding category codes allowing reconciliation to be minimal meaning rejections are reduced
- When the billing clerk has a billing question, she will know how to search the SOMB for the answer using all the lists provided within the SOMB.
- Knowing where Medical and General bulletins are located so that when changes for example such as fee codes, Governing Rules, Procedure descriptions, add-ons for modifiers, and deletions or fee codes (just to name a few) are easily accessed to then be made within the clinic billing
All of these questions are answered in this billing course which will help the economy of the clinic by:
- Reducing rejections and adjustments
- Knowing how to bill fee codes because the knowledge of category codes
- Knowing how and when to use modifiers correctly
- Knowing where to find information that leads to correctly billing visits and procedures either together or separately
- Knowing where to get updated versions of changes AHW makes
- Working with software vendors to ensure they have updated the billing software to comply with all the rule, description, and fee codes changes when new versions of bulletins come out
THE CLINIC DEPENDS ON A KNOWLEDGEABLE BILLING CLERK TO ENSURE PHYSICIANS BILLINGS ARE CURRENT IN THE RULES OF WHAT CAN BE AND WHAT CANNOT BE BILLED.
This knowledge comes from a clinic billing clerk taking a course that pays attention to the details of the basics…..That course is Sherritt’s Alberta Billing Course.
Download a printable PDF of this page